Sara Bendrick, host of DIY Network’s I Hate My Yard
, has just released her first book entitled Big Impact Landscaping: 28 DIY Projects You Can Do on a Budget to Beautify and Add Value to Your Home
. As a landscape designer with a passion for being hands-on involved with her projects she loves to interact with her homeowner clients and guide them through the renovation process.She’s a wealth of information and good counsel. Sara shared with us some of her favorite tips.
Sara’s top 5 tips on decorating a patio or outdoor space:
Sara’s tips on how to pick outdoor furniture:
- Find your style (reference your home).
- Add an outdoor rug to center the space. This can also hide ugly, cracked or dull floors.
- Add seating/table if space allows. Benches, coffee tables, lounging chairs.
- Pick out some container plants & pots (sanseveria, succulents, ferns etc).
- Add pops of complimentary colors to tie in the home in outdoor cushions & decor. This really finished off a space!
Sara’s 5 tips about landscape renovations and home value:
- Fabric: outdoor fabric should be UV and mildew resistant.
- Should have a cover or a place to store cushions and pillows in poor weather.
- Consider synthetic wicker, actual wicker, cedar, teak, ipe or redwood.
- Pick deep seating with a back if you have the space.
- Furniture is a great opportunity to add color, pick a neutral color and have fun with cushions.
- Talk to a realtor/ appraiser in your area, each area.
- Outdoor living areas give you the biggest impact... and are the most expensive.
- Curb appeal is important.
- Update your plants.
- Do it for you, resale is a bonus.
Sara will be on the stage of the Capital Remodel + Garden Show at the Dulles Expo Center in the Washington DC Northern Virginia suburbs on Friday, February 24 and Saturday, February 25.
DULLES EXPO CENTER
FEBRUARY 24 - 26, 2017